A Message From Mrs. Rosenblum
Dear HMSA Families,
It was so wonderful to greet all of our kinder students this morning. We have anxiously awaited their arrival. It was sweet to see their big brothers and sisters taking such good care of them! We have such a caring community. A big thank you to our PTA for hosting the BooHoo/Yahoo breakfast this morning for kinder families.
Our first through sixth graders did a fabulous job last week. They participated in a variety of STEM and teambuilding activities. Here is a photo of our first graders so proud after working together to build the tallest freestanding tower with notecards:
Please join me in welcoming two new staff members. Mrs. Judy Janes is our social worker at Hoover this year. She comes to us with many years of experience both within and outside of District 54. Mrs. Janes will be servicing the students in grades 1, 2, 4 and 5. If you have any questions or concerns about your child’s social-emotional needs please don’t hesitate to contact her. Mrs. Janes can also connect HMSA families with community resources including District 54’s clothing closet and food pantry. She can be reached by district email, email@example.com or by phone at (847) 357-5838.
Mrs. Theresa Slavik joins the Hoover Math and Science Academy team as our school psychologist. She also comes to us with many years of experience. She will be providing service to kindergarten, third and sixth grade students. She is excited for the opportunity to collaborate with our students, families and staff. Please feel free to contact her with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 847-357-5812.
MAP testing will begin tomorrow, Tuesday, August 28th. The information we gain from this assessment is valuable to us. We use this information to determine the strengths of our students as well as the areas we need to focus on for the year. All students will begin the fall MAP assessment this week. The MAP test consists of two parts, one math and one reading test, given on separate days. Please look over the following schedule to help ensure that your child is in attendance and ready to do his/her absolute best!
Hoover MAP Schedule Week 1 – Literacy Testing
(6th Grade will complete testing in first week)
August 27th – August 31st
|Monday, August 27th||No Testing|
|Tuesday, August 28th||8:45am||3rd and 6th|
|Wednesday, August 29th||8:45am||4th|
|Thursday, August 30th||8:45am||1st and 6th (math)|
|Friday, August 31st||8:45am||5th and K (math)|
Hoover MAP Schedule Week 2 – Math Testing
September 3rd – September 7th
|Monday, September 3rd||No Testing|
|Tuesday, September 4th||8:45am||3rd|
|Wednesday, September 5th||8:45am||4th|
|Thursday, September 6th||8:45am||1st|
|Friday, September 7th||8:45am||5th and K (literacy)|
The safety of all HMSA students is a top priority for us. Each year we undergo practice scenarios that allow our staff and students to simulate a crisis situation. These practices include evacuating from the school building and buses, taking shelter during a weather related crisis and responding to an emergency situation in the school building. We will practice our drills in the upcoming weeks. Please read this letter for more information. Crisis Drill Letter
Hoover Happening & Curriculum Night– UPDATED DETAILS
Join us for our annual back to school party!
Wednesday, August 29th 5:30 – 7:30 PM
Food, music and games will be back near the Hoover playground. Pizza, ICEES, and drinks will be available for purchase.
• 5:15 pm – Pizza, Drinks and Icees will be sold starting at 5:15
5:30-7:30 – Hoover Happening occurs the entire time, outside on the playground with families
• 4:45-5:15 – Chromebook Informational Session #1 in the library for parents of 5th and 6th graders
• 5:30-6:00 – Curriculum Session #1 in classrooms
• 6:00-6:30 – Transition time to answer individual questions and time for families to stop by classrooms and visit with former teachers
• 6:30-7:00 – Curriculum Session #2 in classrooms
• 7:05-7:35 – Chromebook Informational Session #2 in the library for parents of 5th and 6th graders
• 7:35-8:05 – Chromebook Informational Session #3 in the library for parents of 5th and 6th graders
Schaumburg Parent University – September classes
Schaumburg Parent University (SPU) is designed to involve more parents in the life of the school, to strengthen family relationships, and to improve parenting skills that will ultimately result in improved student success academically, socially and emotionally. There are two evening programs scheduled for September.
- Playing Together. District 54 Behavior Interventionist Kelly Santell will teach parents and their children in preschool through second grade how creative play promotes learning. This hands-on activity will be held from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 6 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- Mindset Matters. Engage in activities that illustrate the process and benefits of growth mindset, as well as the research behind it. This presentation is for adults only, but free childcare is available. The program is from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Sept. 14 at the District 54 Professional Learning Center, 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
If you are interested in attending these free events, please click on the links. For more information about Schaumburg Parent University and to register, visit our website at http://sd54.org/spu.
Universidad de padres de Schaumburg – Clases de septiembre
La Universidad de padres de Schaumburg (SPU) está diseñada para involucrar a más padres en la vida de la escuela, para fortalecer las relaciones familiares y mejorar las habilidades de crianza que en última instancia se traduce en mejor éxito de los estudiantes académicamente, socialmente y emocionalmente. Hay dos noches programadas para el mes de septiembre.
- ¡Jugando Juntos! – Los padres y los niños desde grados de primera infancia hasta el segundo aprenderán cómo el juego creativo promueve el aprendizaje. El programa se llevara a cabo el 6 de septiembre en horario de 6:30PM a 7:30PM en el Centro de Aprendizaje Profesional del Distrito 54, localizado en 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
- ¡Su mentalidad importa! – Participe en actividades que ilustran el proceso y los beneficios una mentalidad de crecimiento y conozca sobre investigaciones al respecto. Esta presentación es solo para adultos y se llevara a cabo el 14 de septiembre de 6:30PM a 8PM en el Centro de Aprendizaje Profesional del Distrito 54, localizado en 522 E. Schaumburg Road, Schaumburg.
Si usted está interesado en asistir a estos eventos gratuitos, haga clic en los enlaces. Habrá cuidado de niños. Para más información sobre Universidad de padres de Schaumburg y registrarse, visite nuestro sitio web en https://sd54.org/spu-Spanish.
See you Wednesday night!