Principal’s Message August 5, 2019
Dear HMSA Families,
Welcome back to our returning families and welcome to our new families! We hope you are having a fabulous summer enjoying time with your children. Warm days spent riding bikes, swimming and playing together go by so quickly. The memories shared sure do create a lasting bond. One of my favorite memories from the summer was a sunset boat ride on Kentucky Lake with my family. This month will be tough as I send my son Zach off to Arizona State University for his freshman year and my son Chad back to Eastern Illinois University. The house will seem much quieter with just my daughter Kate at home.
We are looking forward to an incredible 2019-2020 school year with you. We are dedicated to bringing out the very best in your children and helping them achieve their highest potential. We have already been hard at work preparing to ensure your child’s success as he/she makes significant growth as a reader, writer and mathematician. Our talented staff members have devoted a significant amount of time this summer attending training, planning meetings, setting up their classrooms and reading professional materials.
We have several exciting dates to share with you:
- Wednesday, August 7th, 9-11am and 6-8pm is Information Day. Stop by our gym where class lists will be posted with teacher and classroom assignments. Our office staff will be available to answer questions. Medical forms for our school nurse may be dropped off this day. The PTA will be there to greet you and share information. Spirit Wear will be on sale and School Supply Kits that you ordered in the spring will be available for pick up.
- Thursday, August 15th, is our Teacher Meet and Greet from 5:30-6:15. Classrooms will be open for you to drop off school supplies and meet the teacher. During the Hoover Happening from 5:30-7:30 our PTA will have food and games available in the gym and behind the school.
- Monday, August 19th is the first day of school for first through sixth grade students.
- August 19th-21st is kindergarten screening. Appointment times were mailed home.
- Monday, August 26th is the first day for kindergarten students. Join us after drop off for our PTA Boo Hoo Breakfast for kindergarten parents to socialize and have a few breakfast treats.
- Wednesday, August 28th at 5:30pm is Curriculum Night. More details to come.
Meet the HMSA Team for 2019-2020
- Mrs. Tracy Noworul – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Maureen Palella – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Tricia Kaszewicz – classroom teacher
- Ms. Kristina Dakas – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Purnima Jain– paraprofessional
1st Grade Team:
- Mrs. Julie Guedel– classroom teacher
- Ms. Alex Zabel– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Sarah Mendoza– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Tara Mershon– classroom teacher
- Mr. Nick Potthoff– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Joan Gebbia – paraprofessional
- Mrs. Mirna Algarin– paraprofessional
2nd Grade Team
- Mrs. Rachel Jacobi– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Hannah Maiorano – classroom teacher
- Ms. Cassi Manelle – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Alyssa Dorszewski (Wuehrle) – classroom teacher
3rd Grade Team
- Mrs. Kari Koebernick – classroom teacher
- Ms. Ashley Hennessy – classroom teacher
- Ms. Andrea Smith – classroom teacher
- Mr. Edward Antosz – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Maria Meza – paraprofessional
- Ms. Amslie Garcia – paraprofessional
4th Grade Team
- Mrs. Christine Cangelosi – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Elise Koverman – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Amy Madia– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Lauren Budny– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Jennifer Lee– classroom teacher
- Mrs. Connie Joniac – paraprofessional
5th Grade Team
- Mrs. Tammi Benson – classroom teacher
- Mr. George Schaupp – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Shannon Grouzard (Thodos) – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Emily Villareal – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Sarah Prusko – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Adeela Qureshi – paraprofessional
6th Grade Team
- Mr. Kyle Sustich – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Julie Raimondi – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Crystal Wright– classroom teacher
- Ms. Sukaina Hussain – classroom teacher
- Mrs. Neha Tulsiani – Paraprofessional
- Mrs. Maria Chavez –EL Teacher
- Mrs. Erin Foy – EL Teacher
- Mrs. Kim Reschke – EL Teacher
- Mrs. Deanna Kozak – EL Teacher
- Mrs. Emily Laskowski – K-1 Coach
- Mrs. Tracy Buck– 2nd-3rd Coach
- Ms. Ariana Carbone – 4th, 5th, 6th Coach
- Mrs. Keelin Franz – Gifted Enrichment Coach
Fine Arts Team/Learning Resource
- Ms. Lauren Bernacki – Music Teacher
- Ms. Dana Young – Music Teacher and Band/Orchestra
- Mrs. Kim Leam – PE Teacher
- Ms. Hannah Vaselaney – PE Teacher
- Ms. Ann Griffin – Art Teacher
- Ms. Sheri Kelly – Art Teacher
- Mrs. Susan Nottoli – Learning Resource Teacher
- Ms. Sierra Creevy – Learning Resource Teacher
- Ms. Lisa Pollastrini – Learning Resource Assistant
Special Education Team
- Mrs. Debbie Migut – Special Service Teacher
- Mrs. Nicole Latrofa – Special Service Teacher
- Mrs. Theresa Slavik – School Psychologist
- Mrs. Therese Pobojewski – School Psychologist
- Mrs. Judy Janes – Social Worker
- Mrs. Julie Boettcher– Speech Pathologist
- Ms. Jennifer Albro – Speech Pathologist
- Mrs. Lally Whetstone – School Nurse
- Mrs. Laura Rosenblum – principal
- Mrs. Stephanie Fry – assistant principal
- Mrs. Teri Shoemaker – secretary
- Mrs. Barb Boeing – secretary
- Mr. John Reymar – Night Custodian
- Mr. Eladio Arroyo – Night Custodian
- Mrs. Jamie Clark – Day Custodian
Dawn Hoelzer and Kristen Caldwell served as our PTA co-presidents last year. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work with these incredibly dedicated and talented women. The time and energy they committed to Hoover students has truly made a difference. I am grateful for the service they have provided. I look forward to another great year with our PTA as Kristen Caldwell serves as our PTA president this year.
School Supply Lists
Stores are ready with school supplies! If you need a copy of the supply list, please visit our website at https://hoover.sd54.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2019/05/19-20-Supply-List.pdf . If you are having difficulty affording supplies, please do not hesitate to contact our school social worker, Mrs. Janes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Hoover office is now open from 7:30am-4:00pm Monday through Friday. Please note, the office will be closed on Thursday, August 15 from 8:00am-1:00pm as the staff will be participating in a professional development opportunity to better serve our students. The office will be open during regular hours on Friday, August 16.
We love to see you here at Hoover, and so do your children! Please be sure when you visit Hoover you sign in when you enter the main office and put on a visitor’s badge. Also, please ensure you sign out before you leave. This helps us to maintain a safe a secure environment for all or students and families.
Students arriving late and leaving early
When a student is arriving late, we ask that you bring them in the main office to sign them in as opposed to sending them in alone. This helps us to ensure student safety and to connect with you. Likewise, we will release a student prior to the 3:00 dismissal bell only when you come in to the office to sign them out.
Be sure to send your child to school with a lunch. It helps the office greatly when students come to school with their lunch already packed. Please avoid dropping off lunches.
- First lunch: 11:15-12:00 (grades 1, 2, 5 and 6)
- Second lunch: 11:45-12:30 (kindergarten)
- Third lunch 12:15-1:00 (grades 3 and 4)
Please make sure you have registered your child for the 2019-2020 school year to ensure your child is on a class roster. Registration requires all students to prove residency. Students who are not registered will not be assigned to a classroom. If you rent, please bring in current lease and two current utility bills. If you own your home, please bring in current property tax bill or current mortgage statement along with two current utility bills. If you will be registering your child for kindergarten, the child’s birth certificate or passport will also be required.
Reminder for Sixth Grade Parents
Mailed home in January was a packet regarding health requirements for entry into sixth grade. A current physical examination (dated 8-15-18 or later) is required for all students entering sixth grade. These students must show proof of receiving 1 dose of Tdap, 3 hepatitis B vaccines, 2 doses of varicella vaccines and 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine. Please have the sixth grade physical examination form completed by the physician and documentation showing proof of required vaccines. Please turn this document into the nurse by the first day of school. Sixth grade students will be excluded from school if this requirement is not met.
We are committed to making a deep and genuine difference in the lives of our students. We are eager to get started. We can’t wait to see you and your children! If we can be of any assistance, please contact us.
Laura Rosenblum and Stephanie Fry
Principal Assistant Principal