Principal’s Message – August 12, 2019
Dear HMSA Families,
We are looking forward to seeing you and your family tomorrow night, Thursday, August 15th, for our Teacher Meet & Greet and Hoover Happening! We are all ready to welcome our students back from their summer adventures. We wanted to send along important information regarding the first day, arrival and dismissal procedures along with upcoming events.
Office Hours – Building Closed Thursday, August 15th until 1:00 PM
Please remember our building will be closed until 1:00 PM this coming Thursday, August 15th. Our entire staff will be attending a District 54 professional development experience together. Our office will be open Thursday, August 15th from 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM, Friday August 16th 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM. If you have any questions, please call our office at 847-357-6100.
Teacher Meet & Greet/Hoover Happening – Thursday, August 15th.
Classroom open house visits and supply drop off will take place between 5:30-6:15 PM. The Hoover Happening will be from 5:30-7:30 PM. Please join us behind the school for fun games. There will be food and beverages available for purchase. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to come meet the Hoover staff, other Hoover families, join our PTA, and much more!
First Day of School for 1st-6th Grades – Monday, August 19th
Our first day is less than one week away! We will start our regular arrival/dismissal procedures on the first day. Our parent drop off lane will be available from 8:15-8:25. Students that walk should arrive at 8:25. Our busses also arrive at 8:25. We ask that you say good-bye to your child at the school doors. We will have plenty of staff inside and outside of our building to assist students with finding their classrooms. During the Teacher Meet and Greet/Hoover Happening you can help your child practice walking from the front doors to their new classroom so they feel confident and so do you. Only students will enter the building, even on the first day of school. The school day begins at 8:40 AM and will dismiss at our regular time of 3:00 PM.
*Information for kindergarteners first day will be coming soon.
Arrival and Dismissal
We strive to provide a safe and efficient process for both arrival and dismissal. We appreciate your cooperation and we thank you for helping out by doing your part in keeping our students safe on their way to and from school. Please speak to your child(ren) prior to the start of the school day about how they are getting home each day to avoid any confusion. Please read the attached letter for details.
Morning Drop-Off Procedure:
- The front loop of the parking lot will be open for car traffic/parent drop-off from 8:15-8:25 each morning. At 8:25, barricades will go up at the entrance closing the lot to car traffic, just like we do now for the arrival of our busses.
- All traffic will use the lane closest to the school to drop-off students. All other parking lot lanes will be closed from 8:15-8:40 to eliminate cars pulling in and out of parking spots during this time. Should parents get into a parking spot prior to 8:15, we will ask that they remain parked there until 8:40 after all busses have unloaded and departed.
- Door 1, the main entrance, will be open for students to stand in the foyer from 8:15-8:25 every morning. At the 8:25 bell, students will go to their classrooms just like they already do.
- We will ask that all traffic pull as far up to the end of the front loop to drop off students. Staff members will be posted along the front lane to assist with drop-off and keep traffic moving (map on back). Please be mindful of their requests to pull up as far as possible before allowing students out of your vehicle. This will decrease the back-up on Springinsguth.
- Parents should stay in the car and the student(s) must only exit through the passenger side of the car with all of their belongings. Please note, in order to successfully keep the traffic moving, students should be ready to hop out quickly.
- Students will walk on the sidewalk and will be able to enter the building at the main entrance.
- All traffic exiting the parking lot during morning drop-off will be asked to make a right turn only onto Springinsguth between 8:15 and 8:40.
- All vehicular traffic in the drop-off lane needs to be in single file. Cars should not attempt to go around any stopped day care busses and/or cars.
- Families should use the drop-off procedure, not the church parking lot.
- Please share this information with everyone who drives your child to school.
- A map of this can be found in your Herbie’s Handbook which will come home on the first day of school.
Please consider allowing a few extra minutes to your drop-off/pick-up routine to alleviate any rushing. Respecting the rules and the people who are enforcing them will create the safe environment we all desire. Your support will make all the difference.
Hoover Parking Lot
In an effort to reduce the number of moving vehicles while school busses are in the parking lot, no parent traffic will be allowed in to or out of the Hoover parking lot from 8:25-8:40 am each morning and from 2:55-3:15 each afternoon (except for Wednesday afternoons when the lot will be closed from 2:25-2:45pm to accommodate our early dismissal time). Only busses and staff members will be allowed to drive in and out of the Hoover parking lot during these times. Please respect our staff members and patrols on duty to ensure the safety of our students.
Curriculum Night – Wednesday, August 28th
Save the date! You are cordially invited to attend our back to school Curriculum Night on Wednesday, August 28 which begins at 5:30 p.m. This evening is a parent only event for all kindergarten through 6th grade parents. We will have two different presentations for this evening. You will have an opportunity to go to a session presented by your child’s classroom teacher. Our teachers will be sharing valuable information about your child’s curriculum as well as classroom procedures. Each teacher will present twice during the event in order to allow parents with more than one child to attend the presentation in multiple classrooms as well as a technology overview.
|Classroom Session 1||5:30-5:50|
|Classroom Session 2||6:00-6:20|
|Instructional Device Parent Presentation||6:30-7:00|
K-5 INSTRUCTIONAL DEVICES PRESENTATION
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
Session 1: 9:00 AM or
Session 2: 6:30 PM
Just as we repeat the classroom presentations, we will do the same for the technology presentation. There is a 9am session and a 6:30pm session.
Join us for a brief presentation to learn more about:
- The implementation of IPads in grades K-2
- The implementation of Chromebooks in grades 3-6
- Grade-level learning management systems
- Digital citizenship lessons
- Device care and expectations
We look forward to seeing you soon!