Principal’s Message – February 10, 2020
Dear HMSA Families,
Our students worked together with their Hero Buddies to create warm wishes for Friendship Village residents . The students did a great job helping their buddies and doing a wonderful service project.
Congratulations to the Hoover Math and Science Academy’s all school spelling bee champion Gab R from 6th grade!!
Here is the link to this week’s Hawk: http://hoover.sd54.org/hmsa-hawk-02-07-20/
Social Emotional Learning Lessons
Kindergarten through sixth grade students have been working on Project Based Learning activities around kindness to self and others. Our SEL lessons in February are focusing on Responsibility and Conflicts. See below for the Social Emotional Learning Home Connections for ideas as you reinforce these concepts with your children.
Student Led Conferences
- We are looking forward to seeing everyone at conferences on February 13th and 14th. All classrooms teachers will be sending home an invitation this Thursday with your conference date and time. It is generally the same as your fall conference day and time.
- Students will be leading out the conference so be sure to bring them with you.
- If you need to reschedule your appointment or have questions, please contact your child’s teacher.
- Our PTA will also be hosting the Book Fair in the gym on Thursday during conferences.
- Please know our students will have a half-day of school (11:40 dismissal) on Thursday, February 13th and no school on Friday, February 14th. There is also no school on Monday, February 17th.
Spanish Speech Contest
District 54 will host its tenth annual Spanish Language Speech Contest on May 7. District 54 students in third through eighth grade are eligible to participate in this event. The application deadline is April 10. For more information about the Spanish Speech Contest please click on the link to our district webpage.
Almost There – 5Essentials Survey
Once again we are reaching out to our families and asking you to participate in the annual Illinois 5Essentials Survey to provide us with your perspective and help guide our school improvement efforts. The parent survey will be available online through Feb. 14, 2020, at https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois. We will also have computers set up in the gym during conferences so you can complete the survey.
For more information, click here to read the letter from Superintendent Andy DuRoss.
Una vez más, nos estamos comunicando con nuestras familias y les pedimos que participen en la Encuesta anual “5Essentials” de Illinois, para brindarnos su perspectiva y ayudar a guiar nuestros esfuerzos de mejoramiento escolar. La encuesta de padres estará disponible en línea hasta el 14 de febrero de 2020 en https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/.
Para obtener más información, haga clic aquí para leer la carta del Superintendente Andy DuRoss.
If there is anything we can do to help make this the best year yet for your child, please let us know.
Mrs. Laura Rosenblum and Mrs. Stephanie Fry