Dear HMSA Families,
Many of our traditional activities have continued during V-Learning. Star Student in kinder (pictured above) continues on even from home and so do Smencils and our school song on Fridays. Thank you all for participating!
Student Supply Drop Off/Pick-Up
As you know, starting this week families are assigned specific times to pick up their child’s belongings. For the safety of our staff and families please remain in your car. We will be utilizing a drive thru system. We ask that parents/guardians follow the flow of traffic through the parking lot for curbside drop off of school materials and pick-up of personal items. Once cars pull up to the school, a staff member will place a bag with all of the child’s belongings into the trunk of the car. If you have any questions, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Place a piece of paper indicating your child’s room number and last name in the passenger window of your vehicle. This will help staff easily identify you as you drive thru.
- Please follow the assigned times below.
- Medication will also be returned to families on the designated day.
- If you have items that need to be returned to the school (i.e library books, textbooks, registration forms, sixth grade safety patrol vests etc…), parents are asked to place all district materials (with the exception of iPads/Chromebooks) into one trash bag labeled with your child’s room number and your child’s first and last name. Parents are asked to place this bag in the trunk of their car. These bags will be returned to each teacher’s classroom so materials can be sorted and organized.
- Any personal items not picked up will be discarded.
- Please know that teachers will not be available online to students or parents on the day where they are assigned to be at the building for material collection and pack up. There are additional days teachers will not be available to students and will not be providing lessons since they will be at the building working to close down classrooms. Enrichment lessons and activities will be provided to students for completion on these days.
Student Registration form Drop-Off for 2020-2021 (this information is only for families who received a letter in the mail)
If you received a paper registration form in the mail to register your child for the 2020-21 school year, you can return the completed form when you come this week for drop-off of materials/pick-up of belongings. Please be sure you have verified all information on both sides of the form, answered any questions, sign and date. If you are required to provide proof of residency, we will follow-up with you at a later date. Please put your registration paperwork in the trunk with any materials you are returning. We want to assign your child(ren) to a classroom teacher. Your child must be registered. Please do so as soon as possible.
Just a Reminder for this Upcoming Week
Teachers will not be available online to students or parents on the day where they are assigned to be at the building for materials collection. The Department of Teaching and Learning will provide an enrichment activity on these days. Please refer to the dates below of when grade level teachers will not be available.
|Mon. May11||Tue. May 12||Wed. May 13||Thurs. May 14||Fri. May 15|
|Non-Attendance Day||1st grade
All students will not have V-Learning on the following days:
- Monday, May 18th (Teacher Planning Day)
- Monday, May 25th (Memorial Day)
Last Day of School
The last day of School/V-Learning is Thursday, May 28th. While students are keeping their devices over the summer for use in the fall, Google Access will be shut off on Friday, May 29th. The last day that all students will be able to use Chromebooks and access Google is Friday, May 29th.
School Supply Kits for 2020-2021
The Hoover PTA is happy to be offering the back to school Teacher Tailored supply kits for the 2020-21 school year (Kindergarten through 6th grade). All the ordering will be done online and boxes will be delivered to your home with shipping included in the cost. There will be no Information Day pickup. Please visit HOME – Shopttkits eCommerce by June 5th. Our account number is 1234. Remember to buy for next year’s grade!! If you have any questions please email Valerie Gough at email@example.com.
Fourth Grade Students and Parents – Band and Orchestra Enrollment Information
As many of you know, students traditionally enroll in the District 54 Instrumental Music Program in the spring of fourth grade and begin lessons in fifth grade. Due to our unique circumstances in the spring of 2020, instrumental music enrollment will be held once school resumes in the fall. In the meantime, we encourage fourth grade students and their parents to visit the District 54 website (https://sd54.org/resources/instrumental-music-enrollment-spring2020) to view information about band and orchestra enrollment so that they are prepared to choose an instrument and join the fun!
The Illinois State Board of Education has said that student work completed during the statewide closure should not count negatively toward student grades or a student’s academic standing. However, District 54 will continue to design high quality lessons and activities for students; to assess student progress; and to provide feedback on student work.
Support During School Closing
We want you to know the entire D54 community is here to support each other during this difficult time. If you or your child is feeling anxious during the school closure or if you have a specific need please do not hesitate to reach out to our school support team.
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Judy Janes, School Social Worker
- email@example.com – Brenda Lutz, School Psychologist
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Therese Pobojewski, School Psychologist
- email@example.com – Stephanie Fry, Assistant Principal
- firstname.lastname@example.org – Laura Rosenblum, Principal
As the situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, continues to change, District 54 is working with amazing community partners to provide food to families who are struggling financially. Families needing assistance may benefit from the following.
- Wednesdays: Willow Creek Community Church will host a mobile food truck distribution from 11 a.m. to noon every Wednesday in the District 54 Rafferty Administration Center parking lot, 524 E. Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg.
- Thursdays: District 54 staff will be working with Township High School District 211 to distribute meal bags with five days of lunches, five days of breakfast and a half gallon of milk from 9 a.m. to noon each Thursday at Hoffman Estates High School, 1100 W. Higgins Road in Hoffman Estates.
- Fridays: Willow Creek Community Church will host a food distribution from 4 to 5 p.m. every Friday at Keller Junior High School, 820 Bode Road in Schaumburg.
- The Schaumburg Township Food Pantry is now running a drive-through pickup from 1 to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the township office, One Illinois Blvd. in Hoffman Estates. For more information, please call (847) 732-7166.
- Church of the Holy Spirit Food Pantry, 1451 Bode Road in Schaumburg, is offering drive-through pickup on Thursdays from 2 to 5 p.m. near the garages.
- Living Hope Food Pantry, 777 Meacham Road in Elk Grove Village, is offering drive-through pickup on Thursdays from 11:30-noon.
- Trinity Charities Food Pantry, 927 Plum Grove in Schaumburg, is open from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays.
You can find updates regarding food distribution on the District 54 website.
The District 54 Education Foundation has also created a new fund called the D54 Foundation Crisis Fund, which will be used to support our most at-risk families, including the 20% of students who qualify for free lunch. This emergency fund will help families impacted by this virus, and could be used in the future to provide immediate access to financial assistance for financially struggling families.
To donate, visit any of the following websites:
- District 54 Education Foundation – select Crisis Fund
- Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Schaumburg Township Food Pantry
Registration for the 2020-21 school year is now open and available through the Infinite Campus Portal. If you have previously created a portal account and cannot recall your username or password, you can reset them yourself from the portal website. Go to http://sd54.org and click on Infinite Campus Parent Portal under Popular Links. If you have not previously created a portal account, please email email@example.com to create one.
To enroll your child for the 2020-21 school year:
Update Your Information: Log on to the parent portal by Monday, May 4, 2020 to review the current information and make any necessary changes. You must hit the SUBMIT button after reviewing the information, even if you don’t make any changes. If your child(ren) will not be attending District 54 schools next year, please inform our office where your child will be attending school in the fall so that we can prepare your child’s records for transfer. You can email our secretaries at BarbaraBoeing@nullsd54.k12.il.us or TeresaShoemaker@nullsd54.k12.il.us.
Residency: All families are required to prove that they live within District 54 boundaries every year. If we were unable to verify your residency electronically, you will have the ability to upload your residency electronically through your portal. If you are unable to upload the documents needed at this time, you will be able to provide them in person when our offices reopen. If your address information was verified electronically, you will not be prompted to upload residency documentation and will not need to provide any documents.
Information about busing and material fees will be communicated this summer. Should you have any questions, please contact your child’s current school office at the above email. Thank you very much.
Wishing you good health and happiness!
Mrs. Laura Rosenblum and Mrs. Stephanie Fry