Library Book Award Programs
Monarch Award (K-3 students)
The Monarch Award: Illinois’ K-3 Readers’ Choice Award will be presented annually to the author and/or illustrator of the book voted as their favorite by students in Kindergarten through Grade Three in participating Illinois schools or public libraries. The Monarch Award is sponsored by the Illinois School Library Media Association
- To encourage children and adults to read children’s books for personal enjoyment.
- To help children become familiar with books, authors and illustrators.
- To encourage children to read critically.
- To develop a statewide awareness of outstanding literature for children.
- To promote cooperation among agencies providing educational and library service to children.
For more information about the Monarch books awards visist the ISLMA website at http://www.islma.org/monarch.htm
Blue Stem Award (3-5 students)
The award is designed for students in grades 3-5 who are ready for longer titles than found on the Monarch list, but not quite ready for the sophistication of some of the Rebecca Caudill titles. Named in honor of Big Bluestem which is the state prairie grass, the award may include both timeless classics and current titles, as well as books that have appeared on Monarch and Rebecca Caudill lists
For more information visit the ISLMA Website http://www.islma.org/Bluestem.htm